Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hiccup in My New Project



My worst nightmare (I am being overly dramatic) came true.

As I was finishing the raw edges of my newly purchased fabric, it happened... My sewing machine (which has seen very little use over it's many years of existence) started to behave oddly.

The tiny light bulb, that casts its beam onto the newly constructed stitches, began to flicker ever so slightly. The machine began to buck and vibrate as I was making a simple zigzag stitch along the edge of the fabric.

So, I eased up on the foot peddle until the needle came to a halt. When I attempted to start sewing again nothing happened. The needle wouldn't go up and down, and when I tried to switch to a different stitch the needle position wouldn't move (my machine is computerized)! I was devastated!

So, the next day I took it to the shop to be looked at/repaired. Hoping it would be a quick fix, I waited patiently for them to call and say something had come loose and needed tightening, or a thread got stuck and caused the machine to seize up.

But no, the repairperson called today to tell me a transformer blew and it would cost $300!!!! I could buy another machine for that much, I was shocked to say the least. And to top it off, I wouldn't get my precious machine (I have grown so fond of it in such a short time) for 10-14 days!

A little piece of advice to all you new, expert, or somewhere in-between sewers use a surge protector with your sewing machine, it could have prevented this $300 mistake....

I'm sharing this beautiful picture that took my mind off my broken machine.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Wow, $300 is a lot and who would have known this could happen.
    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, this is a beautiful blog. omg, you are talented beyond words. Great job! Can i say the apron is and will be worn with love and pride. Now, on to the sewing machine....Hmmm, did you call around to make sure the repair shop is giving you a fair bid to fix? Wow, $300 big ones seems awfully steep. Anyway, you have done an absolutely beautiful job on designing this blog, the writing, pictures are wonderful and how do people go about finding blogs like this? search thru google or just word/threads on the internet? well, i definitely could use some input on my web design from you to maybe soften what looks to me a logo and color from a motorcycle/car mechanics club, instead of a beauty salon & spa. I Love You and very proud of your very first web design/blog.......Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your wonderful comments.

    I can't wait to get my sewing machine back and get started on my next project (it's a baby blanket for my sis, she's have her first baby in 1 month!)

    ReplyDelete