Thursday, June 24, 2010

Milk and Sugar

Now that my sewing machine is out of commission (for the time being), I will take this time to post photos of the skirts I have already completed.

The skirt below is the very first piece I sewed. It is a simple A-line skirt, and the pattern is labeled "Very Easy", however, it is NOT very easy to someone who has never sewn before. With the tutelage of Erin (our instructor) we completed our skirts in about 9 hours in class. She taught us what all the symbols on the pattern meant, how to pin and cut out the pattern, and translated what the instructions were talking about in each step. I highly recommend taking at least one class if you have never sewn before. It helped me tremendously and now I am able to follow instructions for new patterns I'm working on.

So, the fabric I chose for my first skirt was a light blue and white seersucker (great summer fabric) and white lacy stuff for the bottom trim. I wanted the trim to go behind the hem and just peek out the bottom, I thought this would give the skirt a little bit of a vintage feel. I liked the way it turned out, but I should wear a slip or petticoat under it in the day light hours, otherwise you will see my undies.



I wore this outfit to my boyfriends birthday dinner, we went to a fab sushi place and sat in one of the private rooms (super fun). The top is from none other than... yes you guessed it, Anthropologie! I paired my couture skirt and designer top with a little grey cardigan (from Zara)and yellow cutout flats (by Ciao Bella).



Oh yeah, the title of this post is 'Milk and Sugar', here's why I chose that title: Through its etymology, seersucker gives us a glimpse into the history of India. The word came into English from Hindi sīrsakar, which had been borrowed from the Persian compound shīroshakar, meaning literally "milk and sugar" but used figuratively for a striped linen garment.

No comments:

Post a Comment