Saturday, June 26, 2010

My New Invention

I went to my local fabric store and scoured the clearance area looking for an inexpensive fabric to use for a new skirt pattern. It's a highwaisted, gathered skirt with pockets (I love pockets in skirts and dresses). I found this ethnic print that I liked, but it felt like raincoat material. So, I am calling it the 'Skirt Slicker', since I can wear it out during wet weather and not have to worry about getting drenched if I forget my raincoat (Hmm, I wonder if there's a market for these?).



The skirt wasn't too difficult to make, and the pockets were a breeze. I did have to lay the material out on the floor because the pattern had to be cut single layer (because of the 'nap'), but other than that it was easy.

The next skirt I made was super easy. I'm going to make another one when I get my sewing machine back from the shop. I used a free pattern I found online and the fabric was on sale, so the total cost to make it was only $8.00 (that includes thread, zipper, fabric, interfacing, and the free pattern)! You can't beat that. I really like the seersucker, plaid fabric (quintessential summer style) I'm planning on wearing it to the first BBQ of the summer.



Enjoy your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. It looked really GREAT on you at the first BBQ of the season:-)

    ReplyDelete